View of Yonkers, New York
Graphite on paper
Overall: 10 x 14 in. ( 25.4 x 35.6 cm )
inscriptions: not signed. upper left: Yonker's N.Y.; above a house at left of picture: Mr. Copcutt's House
Inscribed at upper left in graphite: "Yonkers, N.Y. --"; to the right: "Mr. Copcutt's House"; various color annotations
This is a view southwest with a mill pond on the course of the Nepperhan River (Saw Mill River) in the foreground, north of Elm Street. The Hudson River and the Palisades in New Jersey are seen in the right distance.
The house indicated at the left is that of John Copcutt, identifed in the Westchester County directories as the proprietor of a mahogany saw mill on the Nepperhan. Copcutt's house was situated west of Nepperhan Avenue and north of Elm Street and overlooked the river and mill pond. It is indicated on the plan of the city of Yonkers, Second Ward, in Beers' Westchester County atlas of 1872 (pp.26-27). Whitefield resided in Yonkers in the early 1850s.
Norvin H. Green Fund
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.