View from Fort Fish, McGown's Pass, New York City

Object Number: 
1889.13
Date: 
1814
Medium: 
Watercolor, black ink, and graphite with touches of white gouache on paper laid on heavier paper (together with 1889.12)
Dimensions: 
Overall: 10 x 25 in. ( 25.4 x 63.5 cm )
Marks: 
inscriptions: bottom center, ink: "View from Fort Fish at Mcgowan's [sic] Pass, looking towards Harlem"
Inscriptions: 
Inscribed below image in brown ink: "View from Fort Fish at McGowan's[sic] Pass looking towards Haerlem."; verso of heavier paper inscribed vertically at lower left in brown ink: "No. 6"
Gallery Label: 
In 1814, in order to provide protection for the city of New York against a British invasion by way of the Long Island Sound, fortifications were erected in upper Manhattan. This view is looking northeast toward the distant village of Harlem. The marshes of Benson's Creek and the East River are at the right. Nutter's Batter is seen at the left, and Fort Clinton at the right. Nutter's Battery apparently derived its name from Valentine Nutter, whose house stood nearby.
Credit Line: 
Deposited by the Common Council of the City of New York
Provenance: 
The City of New York
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group