View of Aquia Creek Landing, Virginia
14 January 1863
Graphite on oiled ochre tracing paper
Overall: 12 x 19 1/2 in. ( 30.5 x 49.5 cm )
Inscribed at lower center in graphite: "Aquia Creek Landing Va January 14 -- 1863. --"
Civil War Drawings Collection. The site of The Battle of Aquia Creek. On May 29 and 30, USS Freeborn and the USS Pawnee engaged the Confederate batteries for several hours each day with little effect. On June 1, the USS Anacostia and USS Resolute joined the other ships and bombarded the batteries for almost 5 hours, firing over 500 rounds, again to little effect. Following the battle the Confederates reinforced the defenses constructing a third battery on the bluff and fourth across the mouth of Aquia Creek at Brent Point. One July 7, mines were placed off Aquia Creek in the river, marking the first such use in the war. The mines were spotted by the Pawnee and later removed by the Resolute. These batteries were abandoned in the spring of 1862 when General Joseph E. Johnston recalled their garrison in preparation to defend Richmond at the start of the Peninsula Campaign. The Union eventually established a logistical supply point at Aquia Creek Landing, with the area fully in Union control by February 1863.
James B. Wilbur Fund
John T. Kavanaugh Collection, Rutherford, New Jersey, 1945
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.