Circular political pin-back button; dark green background with white lettering; "VIETNAM / for the / VIETNAMESE / S.P.U."
The Student Peace Union (SPU), emerged in 1959 on college campuses across the country. The SPU was more liberal than radical. After the Joseph McCarthyinspired dissolution of Communist and Socialist organizations on campuses in the 1950s, the SPU became the only option remaining for nascent activists. Unwilling to settle for fewer nuclear weapons, the students desired a wholesale restructuring of American society.
Gift of Toni Ellen Heisler
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024