Overall: 10 7/8 x 7 1/8 in. ( 27.6 x 18.1 cm ) Silver Weight: 25 oz (troy) 11 dwt (795 g)
Inscription: engraved on the cup: "AWARDED BY THE/ NEW YORK FANCIERS CLUB TO THE/ SOUTH SIDE SPORTSMEN'S CLUB/ OF LONG ISLAND, FOR THE/ BEST EXHIBITION OF LIVE TROUT/ JANUARY 23, 1884." in block letters Inscription: engraved on the pedestal: "PRESENTED
Wrought silver presentation trophy of the New York Fanciers Club; squat, globular cup with an applied repoussé chased foliate rim; cup seated on a trumpet shaped pedestal with a circular foot and repoussé chased foliate band; cast, "woven" fishing basket with a strap applied around the top of the pedestal; two trout with copper enameled spots applied to the cup on either side of the inscription; engraved, "AWARDED BY THE/ NEW YORK FANCIERS CLUB TO THE/ SOUTH SIDE SPORTSMEN'S CLUB/ OF LONG ISLAND, FOR THE/ BEST EXHIBITION OF LIVE TROUT/ JANUARY 23, 1884." in block letters; pedestal engraved, "PRESENTED BY/ JULES REYNAL." in block letters; makers' marks stamped on the base of the cup.
In January 1884, the New-York Fanciers' Club held its second annual exhibition at Madison Square Garden. The exhibition featured a menagerie of cats, dogs, fish, and fowl. This trophy was awarded to the Southside Sportsmen's Club of Oakdale, Long Island, for their superior exhibit of the live fish. The Sotuhside Sportsmen's Club was established in 1866 and allowed its members to fish, hunt, and play in pristine surroundings and complete privacy. Although this trophy is shaped like a goblet, its rope-like rim makes it impractical for use as a drinking vessel. The shape is a convenient backdrop, however, for ornament alluding to the nature of the award. Three applied trout, spotted with copper, swim around the fishbowl-shaped body among trails of seaweed or marsh grass. A woven wicker creel, suspended from a buckled strap, hangs from the top of the pedestal as if from an angler's shoulder.
Gift of Mr. Robert G. Goelet
Southside Sportsmen's Club; purchased at July 1973 auction of Southside Sportsmen's Club furnishings by Robert G. Goelet, the donor.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.