Torpedo

Object Number: 
INV.7825
Date: 
1861-1865
Medium: 
Metal, paint
Dimensions: 
Overall: 27 1/2 x 84 1/2 x 15 in. ( 69.8 x 214.6 x 38.1 cm )
Marks: 
painted: on top: "From Capt. L. Paulding U.S. Gun Boat, St. Louis/To Chamber OF Commerce New York"
Description: 
Black painted iron torpedo; cylindrical torpedo with conical tip made of iron plates riveted together.
Gallery Label: 
This torpedo is from the "St. Louis," a stern wheel casemate gunboat, which was rebuilt for the War Department and launched in 1861, joining the Western Gunboat Fleet. During 1862, the "St. Louis," under the command of Lieutenant Leonard Paulding, participated in the capture of Fort Henry on the Tennessee River. The torpedo was presented to the Chamber of Commerce of New York sometime between 1862 and 1867, the year of Paulding's death.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group