Toby jug

Object Number: 
1951.255
Date: 
1800-1900
Medium: 
Earthenware
Dimensions: 
Overall: 5 1/2 x 6 x 4 5/8 in. ( 14 x 15.2 x 11.7 cm )
Description: 
Molded red earthenware toby jug in silver luster (in form of man in cocked hat).
Gallery Label: 
Toby jugs were first made by the factory of R. Wood in the 1700s, and then imitated by other Staffordshire potteries. The basic form was that of a seated tippling figure in a three-cornered hat, but has numerous variants, including the drunken parson, the night-watchman, Prince Hal, etc. The Toby jug was probably inspired by an engraving of "Toby Philpot" to illustrate a song (See Publications)
Credit Line: 
Gift of Miss Jean Morron and Mr. and Mrs. L. R. Burch in memory of John R. Morron and Belle G. Morron
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group