Toby casters (pair)

Object Number: 
1951.263ab
Date: 
1820-1850
Medium: 
Earthenware
Dimensions: 
each: 4 7/8 x 2 1/4 in. ( 12.4 x 5.7 cm )
Description: 
Pair of toby casters with dark earthenware bodies (in the form of standing man with three-cornered hat) covered in silver luster.
Gallery Label: 
Toby jugs were first made by the factory of R. Wood in the 1700s, and then imitated by other Staffordshire potteries. The basic form was that of a seated tippling figure in a three-cornered hat, but has numerous variants, including the drunken parson, the night-watchman, Prince Hal, etc. The Toby jug was probably inspired by an engraving of "Toby Philpot" to illustrate a song (See Publications) Paper label affixed to caster reads, #210
Credit Line: 
Gift of Miss Jean Morron and Mr. and Mrs. L. R. Burch in memory of John R. Morron and Belle G. Morron
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group