The Thomas Jones House, Massapequa, New York
Graphite on paper
Overall: 5 7/8 x 9 in. ( 14.9 x 22.9 cm ) mat: 11 x 14 in. ( 27.9 x 35.6 cm )
inscriptions: Signed, upper left: Benson J. Lossing
Signed and inscribed at lower left: "B. J. Lossing Del."; signed at upper left in brown ink: "Benson J. Lossing"; inscribed along lower edge in graphite: "The Jones House, Fort Neck, Long Island. / From a pencil sketch by W. S. Mount, when a lad."
This house, in what is now Nassau County, was erected in 1696 on the Massapequa meadows on the south shore of Long Island by Thomas Jones (ca. 1665-1713), ancestor of the Long Island Jones's, on a tract of land deed to him by his father-in-law. Jones and his wife Freelove moved here from Oyster Bay when the area was still a wilderness. The building stood on Fort Neck between Massapequa and Jones Creeks, overlooking Great South Bay.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.