Overall: 5/8 in. ( 1.6 cm )
Brass thimble excavated at Fort Haldimand.
This thimble was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse pit at Fort Haldimand, a British fort on Carleton Island in the St. Lawrence River in New York, just below the Canadian border. Built in 1779, the fort commanded passage of the river and was retained by the British until its destruction by American forces in 1812. The thimble may have belonged to a regimental tailor, or it may have been owned by a member of a soldier's family or by another civilian living in the fort.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.