Overall: 9 1/4 x 11 1/4 x 7 in. ( 23.5 x 28.6 x 17.8 cm )
Mark: stamped on base: "W. G & S" in a conforming rectangle over "W/ G/ &/ S"; possibly circle surrounding center punch; and an obscured date, possibly "1856" engraved: in reserves: "T M & M S B" in script
Wrought (possibly spun) teapot; circular wide-bellied form with a narrow applied and seamed neck and narrow base; flat bottomed; cast c-scrolls, s-scrolls, and fleur-de-lis applied to the shoulder and neck rims; four applied feet cast as trefoils with cast c-scrolls forming the rest of the rim around the base; high, hinged, domed lid with an acanthus-torch finial; cast c-scroll handle sockets fitted with ivory insulators and a hollow, cast silver c-scroll handle partly covered by acanthus leaves; spout cast in two halves and seamed, s-curve with acanthus leaves on the lower front over a scroll that extends behind the spout into a grape vine design, upper back with a simple acanthus design; chased, repousséd and engraved decoration covers the body and lid with floral garlands beneath waved and scrolled swags; initials, "T M & M S B" engraved in the front reserve in script; maker's mark on the base.
This teapot was made for Thomas Marston Beare (1806-1869) and his wife Mary Saltonstall Beare (1807-1869), whose initials it bears. The same handle and rim decoration can be found on an ewer in the collection of Winterthur (61.964).
Gift of Mr. Andrew Oliver
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.