Tammany Hall, New York City
Watercolor, black ink, and graphite on paper laid on board
Overall: 12 1/2 x 17 7/8 in. ( 31.8 x 45.4 cm ) mat: 13 x 18 in. ( 33 x 45.7 cm )
inscription: lower center: "Tammany Hall Corner of Nassau & Frankfort Streets/1812"
Inscribed below image in brown watercolor: "ST JOHN'S LODGE / NO. 1. SWAMP CHURCH PEWTER MUG PRESENT SITE OF THE SUN BUILDING / TAMMANY HALL CORNER OF NASSAU & FRANKFORT STREETS. / 1812"
This is the first Tammany "Wigwam" meeting hall used from 1812 to 1867. The artist's inscription also indicated St. John's masonic Lodge No. 1, the German Lutheran Church ("The Swamp Church"), and the Pewter Mug Tavern on Frankfort Street. A small lithograph of the Pewter Mug Tavern by Sarony, Major, and Knapp was published in Valentine's Manual (1861), opp. p. 444. The site of Hosier's view is now occupied by Pace University and the Manhattan approaches to the Brooklyn Bridge.
Purchase, James B. Wilbur Fund
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.