Sword guard excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
Overall: 2 1/4 x 4 5/8 in. ( 5.7 x 11.7 cm )
Iron sword guard excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; straight cross quillons and shallow cup hilt.
This sword guard was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others prior to the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues and 204th and Academy Streets in Washington Heights. The sword belonged to a British officer, grenadier, or sergeant, or to a Hessian officer.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.