Stock ticker machine and printing mechanism stand
Brass, rubber, iron
Overall (a): 8 in. × 9 in. × 4 1/4 in. (20.3 × 22.9 × 10.8 cm) Overall (b): 5 1/2 × 15 1/2 × 9 1/2 in. (14 × 39.
Brass frame with wheels, sprockets, electrical wires, and printing wheels with letters and numbers; cylindrical stand with wheel and arm for tape.
This New York Quotation Company stock ticker machine would originally have had a glass dome. Its predecessor was invented in 1880 by Stephen Field of the Commerical Telegram Co. In 1889 the New York Stock Exchange took over the Commercial Telegram Co, changed the name to the New York Quotation Company, and in 1890 began manufacturing their own stock tickers.
Gift of Mrs. David M. Minton
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.