Overall: 3 x 2 1/2 x 2 1/8 in. ( 7.6 x 6.4 x 5.4 cm ) with accessory: 2 5/8 x 2 3/16 in. ( 6.7 x 5.6 cm )
cast: above door on front of bank: "BANK"
Cast iron still bank painted blue in the form of a building with tall cupola, flat roof slightly tapering to edges (painted red), pierced decoration including front door, circles in back, and slot (for coins) at back; also cast decoration in front delineating windows to side of door, and inscription above door.
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.