Overall: 4 1/2 x 4 x 2 3/8 in. ( 11.4 x 10.2 x 6 cm ) with accessory: 2 3/8 in. ( 6 cm )
cast: on front and back: "BANK"
Cast iron still bank in form of office building with eight sides, curved roof, and dome with finial, with pierced decoration consisting of rows of windows and cast decoration including elaborate entrance flanked by columns, with slots (for coins) under cast inscription on each side.
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.