Stained glass window
Overall: 30 1/2 x 27 1/4 x 1 1/4 in. ( 77.5 x 69.2 x 3.2 cm )
painted: cartouche with the inscription "Joris CLaesz vanderLaen/ Anno 1630" (Joris son of Nicholas Vanderlaen, Anno 1630)
Stained glass window; oval pane painted in polychrome enamels with strapwork frame with a coat of arms consisting of a shield containing a three ostrich-like birds, surmounted by a helmet surmounted by an ostrich-like bird, all surrounded by foliate scrollwork, all over cartouche with the inscription "Joris CLaesz vanderLaen/ Anno 1630" (Joris son of Nicholas Vanderlaen, Anno 1630); pane set in leaded glass window with rectangular panes and an oak frame with iron corner brackets.
This is one of a small group of stained glass windows attributed to Duyckink that are thought to have been made for the First reformed Dutch Church built in Albany, NY in 1656 and torn down in 1715. This window was removed from a house on Eighth St. in New York City and found by Mrs. Howard Robbins in a wrecker's yard and used in her Dutch Revival house at Sneden's Landing on the Hudson.
Olson, Roberta J. M. “A selection of European paintings and objects.” The Magazine Antiques, Vol. 167, no.1, January 2005, p.182-187.
Gift of Mrs. Howard C. Robbins
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.