Spoon handles (3) excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
largest: 3 x 3/4 x 1/8 in. ( 7.6 x 1.9 x 0.3 cm )
Pewter spoon handles excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; two handles are tapered, one with a flared end and an engraved circle; one is fiddle-shaped.
These handles were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others prior to the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues and 204th and Academy Streets in Washington Heights. The spoons were used as eating utensils by soldiers.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.