Overall: 3 3/8 x 4 7/8 in. ( 8.6 x 12.4 cm )
Brass spigot excavated at Fort Haldimand.
This spigot was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse pit at Fort Haldimand, a British fort on Carleton Island in the St. Lawrence River in New York, just below the Canadian border. Built in 1779, the fort commanded passage of the river and was retained by the British until its destruction by American forces in 1812. The spigot was part of a keg which may have contained beer or liquor that was owned by officers, or used to issue rum to soldiers as part of their rations.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.