Sleeve-link excavated at West Point
Overall: 3/8 in. ( 1 cm )
Brass sleeve-link excavated at West Point; disk decorated with engraved floral design; oval-shaped link attached to looped fastener on back.
This sleeve-link was excavated in 1923 by the Field Exploration Committee from the refuse pit of the Revolutionary War barracks at West Point, a citadel in Orange County, New York built by the Continental Army in 1777. West Point was built to establish American control of the Hudson River, and to guard the Hudson Highlands from attack. The sleeve-link belonged to an officer, and may have been made in France and sent as part of military aid shipments.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.