Shovel blade (2)
Overall: 10 x 8 1/4 in. ( 25.4 x 21 cm )
Iron shovel blade; flat and rectangular, with handle fragment.
This shovel was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others from the floors of twenty huts that were built onto the side of a hill that once stood on the east side of Broadway at Arden Street in Washington Heights, Manhattan. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the camp was occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.