Shoe buckles (2) excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
Overall: 3/4 x 2 1/4 in. ( 1.9 x 5.7 cm )
Brass shoe buckles excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; one buckle has an arched, circular frame and the other has an arched, rectangular frame; both have a chape and tongue.
These buckles were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others before or after the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues and 204th Street, in Washington Heights. They were probably worn by British, Hessian, or Loyalist privates.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.