Shoe buckle fragment excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
Overall: 1/4 x 1 in. ( 0.6 x 2.5 cm )
Bronze shoe buckle fragment excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; arched, circular frame decorated with design of diamonds and circles.
This buckle was excavated on September 17, 1916 by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues and 204th Street, in Washington Heights. It was probably worn by a British, Hessian, or Loyalist officer.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.