Shoe buckle fragment excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
Overall: 1/8 x 1 1/4 in. ( 0.3 x 3.2 cm )
Brass shoe buckle fragment excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; arched, rounded rectangular frame with design along edge.
This buckle was excavated on October 4, 1915 by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues and 204th Street, in Washington Heights. The buckle was possibly worn by a British, Hessian, or Loyalist officer.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.