Shear excavated at a Revolutionary War military camp
Overall: 5 3/4 x 3 3/4 in. ( 14.6 x 9.5 cm )
Iron shear; short blades and curved handles.
This shear was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others at 171st Street and Fort Washington Avenue, within the area of a British and Hessian camp that extended west of Broadway between 168th and 171st Streets. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the camp was occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783. The shears were possibly used by a tailor to mend officers' clothing.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.