Screwdriver excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
Overall: 4 1/4 x 4 1/8 x 1/8 in. ( 10.8 x 10.5 x 0.3 cm )
Iron screwdriver excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; flat with three legs; one leg is pointed and two are rough rectangles.
This screwdriver was excavated by Reginald Pelham Bolton, William L. Calver, and others before or after the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues, and at 204th St. in Washington Heights. Screwdrivers were used by artificers and also by soldiers to repair and clean their muskets. The rectangular legs were used as screwdrivers.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.