Overall: 3 1/2 x 1 3/4 x 3/4 in. ( 8.9 x 4.4 x 1.9 cm )
Brass scabbard point excavated at the British and Hessian camp on Laurel Hill at Fort George, along Audubon and Eleventh Avenues and between 190th and 194th Streets in Washington Heights, Manhattan; the point is attached to a circular badge with an impressed design of a cannon, and an impressed floral border design.
This scabbard point was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at the British and Hessian camp on Laurel Hill at Fort George, in Washington Heights. It was housed for many years as part of the Reginald Pelham Bolton Collection of Revolutionary War Relics (case 3, No. 224) in the Jumel Mansion, on 160th Street and Edgecomb Ave. The scabbard point probably belonged to a British or Hessian officer.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.