Platter: Castle Garden, Battery, New York
Overall: 2 x 20 3/8 x 16 in. ( 5.1 x 51.8 x 40.6 cm )
impressed: on underside of platter: "E. WOOD & SONS BURSLEM WARRANTED" and "SEMI CHINA" around eagle transfer-printed: in blue on underside of platter: "E PLURIBUS UNUM" in banner with eagle, and "CASTLE GARDEN. BATTERY/NEW YORK" below printed: on adhe
Molded pearlware rectangular platter with dark blue transfer print of Castle Garden and the Battery; curved border printed with shells; central image of promenade along the Battery with strolling figures; Castle Garden and walkway visible at right. (Larsen, 3rd ed., no. 16)
Used as an English fort during the Revolutionary War, the Battery at the southern tip of Manhattan offered ready access to New York Harbor and the Hudson River. By the 1820s the site was a popular park for leisurely stolls along the esplanade. Castle Garden, formerly the military fort Castle Clinton, was converted to a center for popular entertainment in 1823.
Gift of Dr. Arthur H. Merritt
The Dr. Arthur H. Merritt Collection of Anglo-American Historical Staffordshire
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.