Plate (9) excavated at a Colonial house
Overall: 7/8 x 9 1/2 in. ( 2.2 x 24.1 cm )
Earthenware plate; creamware with feathered edge rim; seven rim and two base fragments.
This plate was found by Reginald P. Bolton and others at the Colonial house of Jonas Bronck, at Lincoln Avenue and 132nd Street in the Bronx, New York City. Built in 1639, the house was the first European settlement in what became the Bronx, and in 1642 was the site of a peace conference between warring Dutch settlers and Weckquasgeek Indians.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.