Plate

Object Number: 
1940.308
Date: 
1816-1829
Medium: 
Earthenware
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1 x 10 in. ( 2.5 x 25.4 cm )
Marks: 
transfer-printed: in blue on underside of plate: [eagle holding plaque] "ALMS HOUSE/IN THE CITY/OF/NEW YORK/BY W G WALL ESQR" impressed: on underside of plate: "A. STEVENSON WARRANTED STAFFORDSHIRE" around crown
Description: 
Molded pearlware plate with dark blue transfer print of the New York City almshouse; border of scrolls and foliage; central image of almshouse behind fence, with trees and cannon in foreground.
Gallery Label: 
New York's third Almshouse, opened in 1816, was located on First Avenue where Bellevue Hospital stands today.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Mrs. J. Insley Blair
Provenance: 
Purchased by Mrs. J. Insley Blair from Hudnut Sale, AAA, Nov. 1926 ($90) .
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group