Plaque: First Stone Church, N.Y. 1642
Overall: 2 x 12 in. ( 5.1 x 30.5 cm )
Impressed: on back: "Volkmar & Cory"
Molded earthenware plaque decorated with a central transfer-printed scene in underglaze blue of historic New York, surrounded by a stylized tulip border; two pierced holes on top of foot rim for hanging.
This plaque is from a series of twelve depicting views of old New York. It was designed and executed by Charles Volkmar at his pottery in Corona, Queens. Joseph P. McHugh, an Arts and Crafts designer who ran the "Popular Shop" on 42nd Street, maintained exclusive rights to the series for a year.
Gift of Leon Volkmar
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.