Pitcher (4) excavated at a Revolutionary War military camp
Overall: 2 3/4 x 2 in. ( 7 x 5.1 cm )
Porcelain pitcher; bulbous body with flared lip; overglazed red and brown floral design with peacocks.
This pitcher was excavated in 1892 by Reginald P. Bolton and others from a refuse deposit in a military camp at 201st Street and 9th Avenue. Built after the surrender of Fort Washington by American forces on November 16, 1776, the camp was occupied by British and Hessian troops until evacuation in 1783.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.