Pistol lock excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
Overall: 2 1/2 x 3 5/8 in. ( 6.4 x 9.2 cm )
Iron pistol lock excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan.
This lock was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others prior to the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues and 204th and Academy Streets in Washington Heights. The pistol would have been carried by a British or Hessian infantry officer, by a British cavalryman, or by privates and officers of the 71st Fraser Highlanders, which garrisoned the camp during the winter of 1778-79.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.