Overall: 12 1/4 x 5 3/8 in. ( 31.1 x 13.7 cm )
Iron pike blade excavated at West Point; leaf-shaped blade; straight cross quillons below blade.
This pike blade was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from Fort Constitution, on Constitution Island in the Hudson River opposite West Point. Built in 1775, Fort Constitution was built to protect the Hudson River, and to prevent the division of the colonies that would result from British control of the river. The fort was abandoned by American forces, and captured by Sir Henry Clinton on October 8, 1777. The blade was probably fashioned by a soldier from scrap metal.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.