Gold, ivory, enamel, hair, glass
Overall: 1 1/2 x 3/4 in. ( 3.8 x 1.9 cm )
painted: on reverse plaque (?): "PG"
Oval memorial brooch in gold with crimped design around edges; 2 clear glass compartments containing ivory plaques; 1 plaque painted with enamel and hair with image of young woman holding dove and lock of hair; other plaque decorated with enamel and hair initials PG; round pendant bail.
According to the donor, the locket contains the hair of Philip Grim (1766-1821), son of David Grim (1737-1826) and father of Maria Isabella Grim Schermerhorn (Mrs. George Stevens Schermerhorn, Sr.). Philip Grim married Eliza Daddy in 1801. He entered his father's coffee house business and later became a partner. In 1792 the firm's storehouse occupied the premises of the old Lutheran Church which had burned down on what is now the site of Grace Church, 10th St. and Broadway.
Gift of Mrs. James Harper Skillin
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.