Parts of ramrod holders (3) excavated in New York City
Overall: 3 3/4 x 5/8 in. ( 9.5 x 1.6 cm )
Brass parts of ramrod holders; hollow cylindrical tubes with rectangular tabs attached to body; one tube is flattened.
These objects were excavated in the vicinity of Fort George by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918. Built in 1781, the fort extended between Audobon and Amsterdam Avenues and 192nd and 193rd Streets in Washington Heights. Ramrod holders were attached to the bottom of a musket barrel, and held the ramrod in place when not in use. They belonged to British or Hessian soldiers encamped near the fort.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.