Ox shoe excavated at West Point
Overall: 5 1/8 x 1 3/4 x 1/4 in. ( 13 x 4.4 x 0.6 cm )
Iron ox shoe excavated at West Point.
This ox shoe was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse dump near an early nineteenth-century barracks at West Point, a series of barracks and redoubts in Orange County, New York built by the Continental Army in 1777. West Point was built to establish American control of the Hudson River, and to protect the Hudson Highlands from attack by the British Army in New York City. The ox that wore the shoe would have been used to transport supplies.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.