Ox shoe excavated at a Revolutionary War camp in New York
Overall: 4 3/8 x 1 1/2 x 1/8 in. ( 11.1 x 3.8 x 0.3 cm )
Iron ox shoe excavated at a military camp in New York.
This ox shoe was excavated in 1920 by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse dump at Connecticut Village, an American military camp in Putnam County, New York. The camp was one of several built to guard the Hudson Highlands from British attack, and was occupied by Connecticut troops during the winter of 1780-1781. The ox that wore this shoe would have been used to transport artillery and supplies.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.