Ornament excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
Overall: 1 3/8 x 3/4 in. ( 3.5 x 1.9 cm )
Bronze ornament excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; shaped in a floral design with a fastener on back.
This ornament was excavated in November, 1914 by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others prior to the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues and 204th and Academy Streets in Washington Heights. It was part of an ornament that went on a soldier's cap or cartridge-box. The ornament was stored as part of the Reginald Pelham Bolton Collection of Revolutionary War Relics in the Morris-Jumel Mansion.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.