One of a Pair of side chairs
Mahogany, leather, silk
Overall: 38 1/4 x 21 x 18 1/4 in. ( 97.2 x 53.3 x 46.4 cm )
Bow-back side chair with pierced splat with five ribs; trapezoidal seat with leather over-the-rail upholstery covered with silk; plain square, slightly tapered front legs braced by rectangular side, rear, and medial stretchers.
According to the accession records, this chair and its mate belonged to Captain James Lawrence, a hero of the War of 1812. The leather upholstery and silk cover may be original.
"Don't Give Up the Ship": A Catalogue of the Eugene H. Pool Collection of Captain James Lawrence (Salem: Peabody Museum, 1942), pp. 66-67 and illus.
The Eugene H. Pool Collection of Captain James Lawrence, Gift of Dr. Eugene H. Pool
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.