Oil Lamp (miner's safety lamp)
Brass, steel, glass
Overall: 9 1/2 x 3 1/4 in. (24.1 x 8.3 cm)
Plaque stamped "PATTERSON LAMPS LTD / 118 / GATESHEAD-ON-TYNE"; Brass base stamped "PATTERSON LAMPS LTD GATESHEAD-ON-TYNE TYPE A1 APPROVED"
Type A1 oil safety lamp with glass screen and steel chimney with air inlet holes.
Flame safety or "Davy" lamps, invented by Sir Humphrey Davy in 1815, helped to prevent explosions caused by flames coming in contact with flammable gases in mines.
Gift in memory of Ruth S. Susswein and Rita S. Gottesman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.