Copperplate-printed cotton kerchief with an image of the New York Crystal Palace; printed in black ink on a white ground; yellow border with blue dots.
The New York Crystal Palace was modeled after the Crystal Palace built in London in 1951. It was erected between 40th and 42nd streets, east of sixth avenue. The palace housed the first American World's fair and was opened on July 11, 1853. It had six thousand exhibits from the United States, Canada, the West Indes, and Europe. It closed on October 31, 1854, and the building was used various public purposes. On October 5, 1858, a fire broke out in the building and within minutes was destroyed.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024