In 1883 Mayor Franklin Edson of New York appointed a commission to look into the development of parklands in the large tracts in Westchester County that had been incorporated into the city in 1874. They recommended the purchase of 4,000 acres for six parks and four parkways. This portrait was commissioned by William W. Niles, a member of the group and husband of the donor, in 1889, and painted from photographs supplied by each subject.
Gift of Florence B. Niles
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024