Musket worm excavated at Fort Haldimand
Overall: 1 1/8 x 1 in. ( 2.9 x 2.5 cm )
Iron musket worm excavated at Fort Haldimand; small corkscrew attached to circular base; small hole in base.
This tool was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at Fort Haldimand, a British fort on Carleton Island in the St. Lawrence River in New York, just below the Canadian border. Built in 1779, the fort commanded passage of the river and was retained by the British until its destruction by American forces in 1812. Musket worms were attached to screwdrivers and used to clean and repair muskets. Soldiers would attach cloth to the worm, and use the cloth to clean the inside of their weapons.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.