Musket balls (40) excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
largest: 1 in. ( 2.5 cm )
engraved: (47), on flattened part of musket ball: "17"
Lead musket balls; three have a small hole; fifteen are flattened: eight of them are cut in half; one is covered with small indentations; one has a small hole and an engraved inscription on a small flattened area; another has several flattened sides.
These musket balls were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee at a sanitary camp that extended east of Broadway, between 196th and Ellwood Streets. The camp was built in the summer of 1779 to quarantine British and Hessian soldiers infected with a fever that was sweeping through the military camps in Washington Heights. The flattened bullets may have been used as gaming pieces by quarantined soldiers.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.