Musket balls (14) excavated at Fort Haldimand
largest: 5/8 in. ( 1.6 cm )
Lead musket balls excavated at Fort Haldimand; one is covered with small indentations.
These bullets were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse pit at Fort Haldimand, a British fort on Carleton Island in the St. Lawrence River in New York, just below the Canadian border. Built in 1779, the fort commanded passage of the river and was retained by the British until its destruction by American forces in 1812. The indentations on one of the musket balls are toothmarks made by a soldier, who chewed the ball to relieve pain as he was being whipped.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.