Memorial plaque commemorating General Slocum disaster
Overall: 42 1/2 x 34 x 2 1/2 in. ( 108 x 86.4 x 6.4 cm )
Gilded cast metal palm frond entwined in banner with low-relief inscriptions, mounted on white marble slab.
According to the accession records, this plaque was formerly attached to the wall of the narthex in old St. Mark's Church on East 6th St., which was attended by many of the people who died in the General Slocum Disaster. When the Church was sold to the Jewish Community Center in 1940, the plaque was removed and stored in St. Mark's new location until it was donated.
Gift of the Zion-St. Mark's Lutheran Church and the Organization of the General Slocum Survivors, through Mr. Charles R. Sackman, president
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.