Wood, brass, glass, ceramic, paper
Chest: 9 1/2 x 12 1/2 x 9 3/4 in. (24.1 x 31.8 x 24.8 cm)
printed: on paper labels affixed to bottles: "GEO. EM. SOUTHWICK,/ Successor to/PHILIP SCHIEFFELIN & CO./ Established 1783./ WHOLESALE DRUGGIST./ NEW YORK."; "Syr. of Rhubarb, Aromatic./ FROM/ GEORGE G. PORTER,/ PHARMACEUTIST,/ 138 SIXTH AVENUE, bet. 10th
Rectangular mahogany medicine chest with flat, hinged lid, brass rosette mounts and bail handle on each side, brass rectangular plaque with chamfers, and drawer at bottom with circular handle flush with mount; inside of lid padded and covered with orange velvet; upper section of chest (above drawer) divided into 12 rectangular and 10 square wooden compartments with larger square compartment at middle center covered in orange velvet and with shallow tray covered in green velvet; compartments containing 21 colorless blown glass bottles of various shapes and sizes, with glass stoppers and paper labels; inside drawer, with wood divider forming four smaller compartments, containing four colorless glass bottles of various shapes and sizes with glass stoppers and paper labels, several crystals, round white ceramic jar, skein of wool, and circular paper container; bottles containing various substances.
Gift of the Estate of Miss Catherine R. B. Mackie, through her cousin, Mrs. Harold Twiss (Catherine Mackie)
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.