Lt. James H. Raymond Taking the Rebel Flag from the Gunboat "Fanny", near Elizabeth City, North Carolina, February 10, 1862

Object Number: 
10-11 February 1862
Graphite and black ink on paper
Overall: 6 3/8 x 8 1/8 in. ( 16.2 x 20.6 cm ) mat: 11 x 14 in. ( 27.9 x 35.6 cm )
Inscribed at lower right in graphite: "Jas H Raymond. / taking the rebel flag / from the burning gunboat / Fanny, at the brilliant naval / action at Elizabeth City / shortly after the capture / of Roanoke Island"
Civil War Drawings Collection. The Fanny was originally operated by the United States Army Quartermaster Corps. On August 3, 1861, while on the James River, balloonist John LaMountain made an ascent from the deck of the USS 'Fanny' to observe Confederate positions, making the 'Fanny' a balloon carrier. After the Federals captured Hatteras Inlet the USS 'Fanny' was used to supply a Union army outpost at Chicamacomico north of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. On 1 October 1861 it was surprised by a Confederate gunboat squadron. After a brief engagement the USS 'Fanny' was run aground and surrendered. A large quantity of commissary and quartermaster's stores was captured with the steamer, which was refloated and taken into the Confederate Navy. Four days later the CSS 'Fanny' participated in a relatively large Confederate effort to encircle and attack the Union encampment at Chicamacomico, destroy the Cape Hatteras lighthouse, and recapture the forts at Hatteras Inlet. The initial landing effort was successful, however, the encirclement effort failed, and the Union troops were able to retreat back to the Hatteras Lighthouse. The CSS 'Fanny' spent the next four months patrolling Pamlico Sound and reconnoitering Hatteras Inlet On 7-8 February 1862 the CSS 'Fanny' engaged the Union invasion force in the battle of Roanoke Island. The ship eventually retreated to Elizabeth City when ammunition supplies ran low. On 10 February 1862 the 'Fanny' was attacked by Federal gunboats advancing from Roanoke Island. In the ensuing battle it was run aground and blown up by her captain who escaped with his crew to shore.
Credit Line: 
James B. Wilbur Fund
John T. Kavanaugh Collection, Rutherford, New Jersey, 1945
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group