Louis P. Durr (1821-1880)
Copper alloy, bronze, and lost wax cast
Overall: 24 1/2 x 19 x 11 1/2 in. ( 62.2 x 48.3 x 29.2 cm )
inscribed: on front of bust: "Baerer/Sc.N.Y." inscribed: proper right back: "M. J. POWER/Bronze Found (?) N.Y."
A native of Karlsruhe, Germany, Durr arrived in New York in 1848 and established a business in the refining of gold and silver. He became prosperous and began to collect paintings, especially of the Dutch school. Durr was a member of The New-York Historical Society, and in 1882 the executors of his estate chose to give to the Society the two hundred and fifty best paintings in his collection along with money for the acquisition of additional works of art (the "Louis Durr Fund").
Gift of the Executors of the Estate of Mr. Louis P. Durr
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.